Communications and Content Senior Manager
- Salary: £40,000 - £50,000 FTE gross per annum
- Contract: Permanent
- Hours: Full time
- Location: London / Hybrid
- People can work flexibly as per Bite Back 2030’s hybrid working policy noting that office based employees are expected to be in the office 2 days per week; remote staff are required to travel to our London HQ at least once a month.
- NB This is a UK based role; you must have the right to work in the UK to be considered.
- Reporting to: Head of Communications
Do you want to work with a vibrant, dynamic and youth driven organisation that is committed to creating healthy futures for British children by improving the food system?
Be part of the creative, agile and growing team behind Bite Back 2030’s exceptional teenage activists. Join us as our Communications and Content Senior Manager and contribute to our journey to help make the food system healthier and fairer. See below for more details about the role and how to apply.
At Bite Back 2030 we are committed to ensuring our staff is representative of the diverse world around us and therefore encourage candidates from diverse backgrounds to apply. At Bite Back we are inclusive and want to ensure we uphold our multicultural environment.
About Bite Back 2030
We’re surrounded by junk food. From the moment we're born, every second of every day, children are being targeted. Giant companies manipulate them with colourful, cuddly, clever marketing, deceive them with packaging claims and pump products at them that are full of junk. It's become the cultural wallpaper. Now, it risks destroying the health of a generation.
In the UK, nearly a third of children aged 2-15 are now at future risk of developing food-related conditions like type 2 diabetes and heart disease.
The good news is, it's totally preventable. And we're biting back.
Bite Back is a youth activist movement challenging a food system that's been set up to fool us all by:
- 1) Calling out the manipulation of the junk food giants.
- 2) Demanding higher standards from food marketing and from everyday food itself.
- 3) Mobilising and equipping young people in the fight for better food.
We do all this so we can bite back against a global epidemic of food-related ill health.
The Comms & Content Senior Manager will be responsible for leading our creative storytelling. They will oversee the production of high quality content for all of Bite Back’s channels and communications moments. They will be a strong leader, serving as a guardian for our brand narrative and upskilling the team to deliver high quality content tailored to the channels and audiences that will advance Bite Back’s impact. They will support the Head of Communications with the execution of Bite Back’s overarching communications strategy, ensuring our content and media coverage consistently contribute to our brand and campaigns objectives.
Key responsibilities include:
- Work with the Head of Communications to build content and editorial considerations into the overarching communications strategy, ensuring we’re making the most of storytelling opportunities for all of our audiences
- Create and refine the content strategy to tell our brand story and advance our campaign objectives across all owned channels
- Align all our teams around the content strategy, ensuring all of our content on both public channels and in closed door stakeholder engagements is consistent and high quality
- Work with the Digital Senior Manager to mine audience insights and fold them into the content strategy
- Identify opportunities to engage new audiences or increase engagement with existing ones through content and storytelling
- Providing creative leadership in our campaign planning and helping to translate our campaign/policy objectives into compelling content ideas that will achieve maximum reach and/or supporter action
- Champion our narrative and engage new audiences with Bite Back's ideas on the food system and the challenges it poses to child health
- Act as the guardian of our brand, ensuring that our tone is reflected in all content and communications
- Ensure narrative coherence across all copy / content and all channels
- Content production:
- Craft briefs for engaging content across all channels (digital and traditional media)
- Oversee the Digital Content Producer’s production of content, steering the creative vision, providing quality control and ensuring the message adheres with our brand narrative guidelines
- Oversee the Digital Content Producer’s management of the social calendar, social copy and content production schedule
- Explore larger content and storytelling opportunities such as brand exposès, hero films, or youth-led investigations
- Work with the Designer to unlock new creative opportunities across content and design
- Support the Head of Communications with the execution of our media strategy
- Support the Head of Communications in pursuing proactive media opportunities and increasing the regularity of our media coverage
- Support the Head of Communications with the development of reputation management strategies and risk analysis around key communications moments
- Maintain and grow relationships with media contacts
- Support the Head of Communications in managing media enquiries
- Undertake press outreach and influencing journalists to take a helpful editorial position on our issue
- Manage the Communications Executive’s creation of press assets, providing guidance and developing their media engagement skills
- Review and provide insight on media coverage
- Youth Engagement:
- Support our youth campaigners in telling their stories in the most powerful way
- Oversee the Communications Executive’s development of briefing documents for the young people as needed ahead of events and public appearances
- Line management of the Digital Content Producer and the Communications Executive
- Assist in upskilling the wider team so we are less reliant on agency support for content planning and development
Skills / experience (required)
The ideal candidate would have the following experience and qualities:
- Strong storytelling skills
- Exceptional English language writing skills
- Experience in creating content across a range of channels
- Experience leading content creation teams
- Experience of working with the media and a deep understanding of how to deal with journalists
- Experience in creating audience focused strategies
You will be able to show the following qualities:
- A bold and open mind - you will be prepared to think differently about issues.
- A level head - you will be comfortable working both reactively and proactively.
- A sense of humour - we believe work should be fun and that we all perform at our very best when we enjoy what we do.
- Creativity - you will come at issues from new and unusual angles and be prepared to work hard on finding fresh and surprising angles.
- Resilience - you will be prepared to keep going or as our values say, set back won't set you back.
- A passion for our mission.
Skills / experience (desired):
- Experience in working with young people is welcomed but not essential
- Experience of working in a campaigning organisation
How To Apply
Please apply with a CV and a statement answering the following questions:
- Tell us about a media strategy you’ve designed to get coverage for a key moment. What was your strategy and how did you measure its impact? (250 words max)
- Tell us about a content strategy you’ve developed. What audiences were you trying to reach? How did you deploy different channels and content styles to engage them? (250 words max)
- Tell us about a complex, nuanced topic you’ve had to develop a communications strategy for? How did you create engaging storytelling on the topic? And how did you avoid misunderstanding or misrepresentation of the issue? (250 words max)
- How would you improve Bite Back’s brand recognition as a Communications & Content Senior Manager? (250 words max)
Please send your application to email@example.com.
- Applications close at midnight on Sunday 3rd March
- Initial interviews are expected to take place from the 11th of March
If you have any specific questions about the role or process please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for any more information.